Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is very quick and easy to make! The yellow cake mix is what gives this apple crisp its special flavor! Try it & see for yourself.
- 5 granny smith apples, peeled, cored & thinly sliced into rings
- 255.14 g package yellow cake mix
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml ground cinnamon
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut apple slices crosswise in half.
- Place in 9-inch square pan; sprinkle with dry cake mix.
- In small bowl, combine sugar & cinnamon; sprinkle over cake mix.
- Drizzle with butter.
- Bake 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream, if desired!
Great stuff! Instead of sugar, I used Equal and used three tbs. Also doubled the cinnamon. Used Black Twig apples from Julian, a mountain apple growing community above San Diego. Wow, is that good!
I believe the original recipe calls for a stick of butter which equals 1/2 cup.
taste was OK - nothing spectacular. Like many others I found that extra butter was needed on top. half way through baking I had to add more butter to moisten the dust balls of cake mix. I also had to bake it for more time than stated, even with slicing the apples thin. Next time instead of buying cake mix, I'll just save the money and go back to my grandmother's tried and true recipe.