Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
For when your recipe requires a cake mix, but you can't get them in supermarkets near you
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons skim milk powder
- 125 g butter
To make cake
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Combine flour, sugar and milk powder in processor.
- add chopped, cold butter.
- process for about 20 seconds or until butter is evenly distrubuted through dry ingredients.
- store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 months.
- TO MAKE CAKE:.
- place cake mixture into bowl of electric mixer.
- add rest of ingredients.
- beat on low spead until combined.
- increase spead to medium, beat for about 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and changed in colour.
- spread into greased and lined with baking paper, then paper greased as well, pan.
- cook in moderate oven.
- 20cm baba pan - 40 minutes.
- 20cm ring pan - 40 minutes.
- 14cm x 21cm loaf pan - 1 hour.
- 2 x 8cm x 26cm bar pans - 35 minutes.
- deep 20cm round cake pan - 50 minutes.
- 24 patty pans - 15 minutes.
Perfect, even if you don't have a food processor you can still do this with room temp butter if you're going to use it right away. Made 18 cupcakes.
Thanks for posting this. I had a recipe that I wanted to make for squares that needed a cake mix and I didn't have one. This worked perfectly. I didn't have self rising flour (actually I've never seen self rising flour in our stores) so I used Self-Rising Flour.