Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
A friend of mine who is as keen a cook as myself, passed me this recipe but couldn't remember the source. She recommended it as being "perfect with a good cup of tea" and I couldn't agree more!
- 1 pint strong tea
- 200 g chewy banana chips
- 125 g cranberries or 125 g raisins
- 200 g dates
- 160 g demerara sugar
- 125 g chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 450 g self raising flour
- Soak the dried fruit for 1 1/2 hrs in strongly brewed tea. Line a 28 x 23cm / 11" x 9" baking tin with baking parchment and lightly grease with vegetable oil.
- Beat the egg and milk together. Mash the soaked fruit with a fork, then stir in remaining ingredients.
- Spread the mixture in roasting tin/s.
- Bake in the centre of preheated oven at 170° for about 1 1/2 hrs until golden brown on top and springy to the touch in the centre.
- Turn out immediately onto a wire rack.
this turned out great! It takes a bit of time to prepare but is super simple! I baked mine in a 9" round cake tin and it turned out perfect. Very moist with a light banana tase...THANKS