Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These little red velvet cupcakes have chocolate chips inside...a nice little surprise! I always have to leave out the red food dye
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packageplain German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners. Set the pans aside.
- Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat two minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look thick and well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it three quarters of the way full. (You will get between 22 and 24 cupcakes; remove the empty liners, if any.) Place the pans in the oven.
- Bake the cupcakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and place them on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes before frosting.
- Meanwhile, prepare the White Chocolate Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting. When finished, place a heaping tablespoon of frosting on each cupcake and swirl to spread with a short metal spatula or a spoon, taking care to cover the tops completely.
- Place these cupcakes, uncovered or in a cake server, in the refrigerator until the frosting sets, 20 minutes. The cupcakes are ready to serve.
Great cake mix recipe. I did use the red dye for Valentine's Day treats and substituted doctored packaged frosting. Everyone raved. Thanks for posting.
We are really enjoying these! I did not use the food coloring either. I got 22 cupcakes and mine took 24 miniutes to bake. As for the frosting, I did not have white chocolate, but I had a ready made white frosting that I just added some peppermint extract to and it was perfect! I was already told that I should make these again. Thanks!