Redneck Epicurean's Note:
These little red velvet cupcakes have chocolate chips inside...a nice little surprise! I always have to leave out the red food dye
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners. Set the pans aside.
- 2Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 3Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat two minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look thick and well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- 4Spoon batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it three quarters of the way full. (You will get between 22 and 24 cupcakes; remove the empty liners, if any.) Place the pans in the oven.
- 5Bake the cupcakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and place them on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes before frosting.
- 6Meanwhile, prepare the White Chocolate Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting. When finished, place a heaping tablespoon of frosting on each cupcake and swirl to spread with a short metal spatula or a spoon, taking care to cover the tops completely.
- 7Place these cupcakes, uncovered or in a cake server, in the refrigerator until the frosting sets, 20 minutes. The cupcakes are ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cake Doctor's Red-Less Velvet Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (1395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.9
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 30.6 mg
- Sodium 211.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 2.2 g