Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A custard type pudding using any type of cake. It can be as plain or as fancy as you want...just add nuts, raisins, or coconut, and top with whipped cream.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake crumbs
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups hot milk
- 4 -6 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- Pour hot milk mixed with sugar, salt, and vanilla slowly into eggs whisking all the while.
- Then pour over crumbs and pour into dish.
- Place dish in a pan of hot water.
- Bake 350 for 40 min or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Serve hot or cold with cream.
Simple to follow recipe & the results were delicious - very similar to a classic bread pudding, even more so as I replaced the vanilla with cinnamon. Mine was cooked in just 30 mins but this could be down to my fan-assisted oven!
If you like custard, this is THE thing to do with stale cake (or in my case, really dry cakey cookies). I used craisins as the add-in with molasses cookie crumbs.
I hate to waste anything so love that this uses stale cake...this is a great recipe for using up leftovers and the flavour changes depending on which cake you use..wonderful..thankyou!