Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I made this recipe after falling in love with Coldstone and Carvel's Cake Batter Ice Cream. I recommend using Splenda instead of sugar since there is sugar in the cake mix. You can use 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract if you please. You can also use 3/4 cup of cake mix. THIS RECIPE IS TO USE WITH AN ICE CREAM MAKER (MINE IS BY CUISINART)
- Place freezer bowl of ice cream maker into the freezer. It is better to keep it in there 24/7 that way it is always ready.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla to taste.
- Stir in cake mix, making sure there are no lumps.
- Pour mixture into the freezer bowl and let mix until it has thickened (about 25-30 minutes).
- Remove ice cream from freezer bowl and place into a separate container.
- Place freezer bowl and the ice cream into the freezer to further harden.
I too love Coldstone's and Maggie Moo's cake batter ice cream. I used skim milk in place of whole milk and fat free half & half in place of the cream. I also used 1.5 cups of cake mix and only 1/2 cup sugar. Awesome :)
My DH said this is better than Cold Stone (and I agree!) We didn't do anything fancy - we used 2% milk instead of whole milk and vanilla cake mix. Thanks, SStemp! UPDATE - we've made this several times, and it's good with both vanilla or chocolate cake mix, Oatmeal Cookie mix (just like Cold Stone's version) or brownie mix. It's fun to mix it up and try different mixes, and we've never been disappointed! We've also used both 1% and 2% milk with no difference in taste.
Quick, easy, delicious. This was very sweet as written, but I have a crazy sweet tooth! The second time I made it I used lower fat ingredients - 1 cup of half and half, two cups of So Delicious brand coconut milk (much lower fat than canned). I also added two teaspoons of vodka, which worked well. With a lower fat content, the alcohol helps keep it from freezing into a solid brick once you place it in the freezer.