very good cream filling.. Note: I also made this with using only 250 ml of Nurti Whip and it turns out a little heavier but is great believe me..this is a three for one recipe here..as you can also use the filling without the nutri whip too with good tasting results. Use this filling for tarts, cream puffs, or cakes and although not a traditional cannoli filling its great in those too. Nutri Whip is a Canadian Product, it is similar to Rich's Ready to Whip Topping. It is liquid and needs to be beaten just like whipping cream, without sugar added.
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in a pot.
- Whisk to combine well.
- Add milk gradually to get no lumps.
- Stir over medium heat until it thickens and comes to a low boil, about 10 minutes.
- Beat yolks in a bowl.
- Add some hot mixture into the bowl just a little to bring to a warm temperature.
- Add all back into the pot of mixture on the stove and continue to low cook until thick, do not boil.
- Remove and blend in the vanilla and pkg of dry pudding mix.
- Stir well until blended.
- Cool two hours, covered with saran (not to get a skin on top) or until cold.
- Beat nutri whip and then fold into the cold custard.
- Blending well, the cold mixture is hard to fold in( as it has set to a thick custard) so using beaters low speed is also good results.
- Fill cannoli-- or filling and topping for cakes.this should be stored in the refrigerator, because of the Nutri whip topping.
- I have never made this with reg. whipping cream, always Nurti Whip.