Recipe by Baby Kato
This recipes has been submitted for play in ZWT9 – Cajun/Creole. The recipe is from cookbook: Cajun Cooking by Better Homes and Gardens. Ham and hot pepper jazz up the flavor of this colorful bean and tomato soup. Hope you will enjoy this quick and easy to make dish!
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
This is a delicious and easy to tailor bean soup. I had a bag of mixed beans and used those as well as chicken stock instead of water. I also bought a couple of thick slices of deli ham and use those instead of the ham bone. I like leaving the heat up to the individual and passed the Tabasco sauce with the soup! Made for ZWT 9.
- 8 ounces great northern beans
- water, to cover beans
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, cut up or 16 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1 cup ham, meaty bone or 1 cup smoked pork hock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put rinsed beans, in a 4 quart dutch oven and cover beans with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer beans, uncovered for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 - 2 hours. Drain beans and re-rinse.
- Place the beans, water, undrained tomatoes, ham bone, onion, green peppers, celery, garlic and pepper back into same dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone, when cool, cut meat from bone and return to soup and heat through. Stir in the hot pepper sauce, taste and season with salt.