Recipe by Cajunmommy
This version is the one i did on my own. Some Cajun red beans and rice recipes are too long for me, I am a mother and I don't have time to get 15 ingredients. LOL! This is a simple, cheap way to cook just like Cajun!!
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red beans
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb sausage
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion, garlic and bell pepper in 1 tbsp oil until onions are clear.
- Stir in cut up sausage and 1/3 cup of water, stir often for about 4 minutes.
- Add beans, bring to boil.
- Then simmer for 30 minutes (adding little water if needed along the way).
- Take a potato masher-with 1 1/2 cup of beans in a bowl, mash until mushy.
- Put mashed up beans back in (along with 1 tbsp of favorite Cajun seasoning), and stir.
- Simmer about 5 more minutes until gravy is thick!
- Serve over rice--ENJOY.