1/5 Photos of Cajun-Style Red Beans and Rice
1 hr 10 mins
This is a hearty Southern dish, easy to make and full of flavor and quite spicy! I sometimes add in cooked ground beef, you can add in some chopped cooked bacon or use spicy dryed smoked sausage to the beans for smokey flavor --- I also like to add in some Creole seasoning -- see my The Best Creole/Cajun Seasoning Mix
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder (or use chipotle chili powder or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (or to taste)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (can add in more)
- 1 (13 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon louisianna hot sauce (add in only if you like extreme spicy!)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed under cold water
- 5 -8 slices bacon, cooked and finely chopped (optional, or use dryed smoked sausage, sliced)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add in onions, garlic green bell pepper and crushed chili flakes; saute until veggies are soft (about 8 minutes).
- 3Sprinkle with chili powder and paprika, cook about 1 minute.
- 4Add in tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes and hot sauce (if using) season with salt and add in sugar to taste if needed.
- 5Add in beans, cooked ground beef and bacon if using; mix to combine and simmer for about 1 hour.
- 6Serve mixed or over rice topped with a dollup of sour cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun-Style Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (705 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 735.4
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 6.8 mg
- Sodium 1016.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 121.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.1 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 27.6 g