Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is especially for our Vegetarian Zaarites, but anyone would love this. I will have to post the Blackeye salsa separately, so that is what it is called. Look for it. You will LOVE this. This is not an original recipe.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno chile
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup packaged Mexican blend cheese
- 3⁄4 cup black-eyed peas or 3⁄4 cup cooked dry-packaged black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained, coarsely chopped
- blackeye salsa (recipe posted separately.)
- Combine water, jalapeno chili, cumin and salt in medium saucepan; heat to boiling.
- Gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and Blackeyes.
- Spoon grits onto plates, then spoon Blackeye Salsa over grits.
I made this for breakfast and wasn't sure if I would enjoy it so early, but loved it! I made your Recipe#157135 to go with it. YUM! Thanks for a new way to eat grits!
Excellent! This may be my new New Years Day tradition. Served along with recipe #157135 with a pork roast and recipe #48498. Would be an excellent meatless main dish as well. Super easy and quick to fix. Something different that we all loved. Thanks for sharing the recipe!