Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is especially for our Vegetarian Zaarites, but anyone would love this. I will have to post the Blackeye salsa separately, so that is what it is called. Look for it. You will LOVE this. This is not an original recipe.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno chile
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup packaged Mexican blend cheese
- 3⁄4 cup black-eyed peas or 3⁄4 cup cooked dry-packaged black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained, coarsely chopped
- blackeye salsa (recipe posted separately.)
- Combine water, jalapeno chili, cumin and salt in medium saucepan; heat to boiling.
- Gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and Blackeyes.
- Spoon grits onto plates, then spoon Blackeye Salsa over grits.
I made this for breakfast and wasn't sure if I would enjoy it so early, but loved it! I made your Black-Eyed Peas Salsa to go with it. YUM! Thanks for a new way to eat grits!
Excellent! This may be my new New Years Day tradition. Served along with Black-Eyed Peas Salsa with a pork roast and Fried Cabbage. Would be an excellent meatless main dish as well. Super easy and quick to fix. Something different that we all loved. Thanks for sharing the recipe!