This is especially for our Vegetarian Zaarites, but anyone would love this. I will have to post the Blackeye salsa separately, so that is what it is called. Look for it. You will LOVE this. This is not an original recipe.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno chile
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup packaged Mexican blend cheese
- 3⁄4 cup black-eyed peas or 3⁄4 cup cooked dry-packaged black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained, coarsely chopped
- blackeye salsa (recipe posted separately.)
- Combine water, jalapeno chili, cumin and salt in medium saucepan; heat to boiling.
- Gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and Blackeyes.
- Spoon grits onto plates, then spoon Blackeye Salsa over grits.