Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Cajun dirty rice or rice dressing recipe adapted to family tastes with the ground beef. It's one of the most requested meals in our home.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 mirliton, parboiled and diced (also called chayote squash, optional ingredient)
- Spray a large non-stick pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Brown meat in pan along with diced onion, pepper, celery and garlic.
- Drain fat and season with cayenne pepper, onion and garlic salt.
- Add water and simmer for about 20- 30 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked down. (You may need to add a little water during the simmer time to keep from sticking.)
- Add Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, cream of mushroom soup and mirliton.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked rice, stir gently, until all rice is moistened.
- Add mirliton (optional).
- Top with green onion and parsley, stir lightly and serve.
WAHOO! This was GREAT! Made it for the first time to take to a covered-dish Super Bowl party--it was a huge hit with both men and women. I didn't have a mirliton on hand, so I used a medium zucchini, chopped and parboiled, instead. Then I used the zucchini water to cook the rice. Everyone just gobbled it up. Thanks for sharing a terrific recipe!
This was really easy and fun to make. The whole family enjoyed it. I did not have any cream of mushroom soup so I sub a half of cup of lite sour cream. I will make this again.
This recipe was amazing. I followed it exactly with the exception of using cream of mushroom soup. I used condensed mushroom soup and a bit of soy milk. My whole family LOVED it!