1/3 Photos of Cajun Style Country Fried Pork Steaks
Chef shapeweaver �'s Note:
I got tired of the "same ole' country fried steak, and was looking through a TOH "country cooking" and found one that was contributed by Toni Holcomb. I changed a few things and here are the results. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your own tastes. I served this with mashed potatoes and green beans. The nutrition amounts include the total amounts of flour and milk mixture--you might not use all of the flour mixture to bread the meat and you might not use all the gravy. Submitted on June 1st, 2006.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (4 ounce) pork cube steaks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- oil (for frying)
- 1In a shallow bowl combine one cup flour and all seasonings.
- 2In another bowl combine buttermilk and evaporated milk. Set aside 1 3/4 cups of milk mixture for gravy.
- 3Dip meat into flour mixture, then in milk mixture, and then back into flour.
- 4Repeat step 3 for the rest of meat.
- 5Heat oil in skillet until hot but not smoking.
- 6Cook meat until lightly browned on each side, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 7Remove steaks and keep warm.
- 8Drain oil from pan, saving about 1/3. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cook over medium heat until golden brown. Whip in remaining buttermilk mixture.
- 9Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- 10Serve over meat.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Style Country Fried Pork Steaks
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.6
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.1 mg
- Sodium 943.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 12.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pork cube steaks