Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Basic and easy recipe for making boudin sausage. To stuff the casings, you will need a meat grinder with a sausage horn attachment. If you don't have such a device, use the mixture to make fried patties by shaping 1/4 cup of filling into a 1/2 inch thick patty and frying in hot oil until golden brown on both sides.
- 2 lbs ground beef (Or any combination of meats and or or seafood totalling four pounds.)
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 4 large onions, minced
- 10 garlic cloves, minced (may be adjusted from 10 to 25)
- 6 small hot chili peppers
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, minced
- 1 large sweet green pepper, minced
- 2 medium leeks, minced
- 6 green onions, minced
- 1 cup parsley, minced
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- To prepare casings: Let casings soak in cool water about five minutes to remove salt on outer surface (no longer, or they will become too tender to stuff) and flush salt from the inside by placing one end on faucet nozzle and turn on cold tap water (if you see holes or water leaking, cut and discard).
- Remove casing from faucet and gently squeeze out water; cover rinsed casings and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix all ingredients very well in a large bowl (you're looking for a moist but not runny mixture).
- Fill the casings with the mixture and make links by twisting the sausage where you wish the links to be.
- Four inches is a good size for a regular serving, smaller links may be made for appetizer servings.
- Place the sausage in large saucepan or dutch oven in a single layer; cover and heat over high heat to a low simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain low simmer (sausages may burst if cooked at too high a heat) until the sausage is heated through, approximately 15 minutes.
- Drain and let rest for about 15 minutes before slicing; serve while warm.