Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tired of the same old baked sweet potato? Great for picnics and barbecues, these sweet potatoes are seasoned with a homemade herb and spice mix.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- In a small bowl, stir together paprika, brown sugar, black pepper, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Brush each half with olive oil. Rub the season mix over the cut surface of each half. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet, or in a shallow pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until tender, or about 1 hour.
What a lovely way to jazz up a sweet potato ! Definitely some heat here (though I may tend to be liberal with the cayenne). DH & I really enjoyed this. With some ground lamb it made a delicious work lunch for me and just on it's own for a quick lunch at home. Sorry I forgot to take a picture, I'll be making this again and will then for sure. Thanks so much for posting, EK ! Made during ZWT#9 for my team, Tasty Testers :)
I loved this potato! The spice mixture was great and the recipe is super easy. I have to admit that I put about 1/2 teaspoon of butter on each half when they were done. They went great with Recipe #503663 and Recipe #503410. Made for my fellow Tasty Tester for ZWT9. Thanks EK! :)
I thought these sweet potatoes held great promise. They were extremely easy to prepare, which made for a hassle-free side dish to shrimp po boys. The spices used were ones I typically had on hand. DH, myself, and my dinner guest, however, didn't overly care for the combination of flavors once prepared. Made for ZWT9.