Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Not sure where I found this recipe, but it sounds good.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 lb andouille sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves, crushed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut off stem end of each tomato.
- Scoop out pulp leaving 1/4 inch thick shells.
- Turn tomatoes upside down to drain; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet until hot.
- Add sausage.
- Cook and stir until sausage is browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add green pepper, celery, garlic and thyme.
- Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in eggs.
- Spoon meat mixture into reserved tomato shells.
- Place in shallow baking pan containing 1/2 inch water.
- Cover and bake until tomatoes are tender, 20-25 minutes.
This recipe is SO good! I was making Cajun Style Baked Sweet Potato and Cajun Chicken and needed a veggie for the side. This recipe has few ingredients and was ready in no time. I halved the recipe and there was enough stuffing for 4 medium tomatoes. Made for the Tasty Testers for ZWT9. Thanks lazyme! :)