This recipe was in the August 2011 issue of Cooking Light. I made it for my family and boyfriend, and everyone loved it. I didn't have a smoker, so I just skipped using the wood chips and grilled the shrimp, which worked fine.
- 1 1⁄2 cups hickory chips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 hard-cooked large eggs
- cooking spray
- Soak wood chips in water 1 hour; drain.
- To prepare shrimp, combine paprika and the next 9 ingredients (through red pepper). Combine olive oil and shrimp in a bowl, and toss to coat. Sprinkle shrimp with rub, and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- To prepare rémoulade, combine mayonnaise and the next 10 ingredients (through garlic) in a medium bowl. Remove yolks from eggs; discard yolks or reserve for another use. Finely chop egg whites, and stir into mayonnaise mixture. Cover; chill.
- Remove grill rack, and set aside. Prepare the grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to high and leaving one side with no heat. Pierce the bottom of a disposable aluminum foil pan several times with the tip of a knife. Place pan on heat element on heated side of grill; add wood chips to pan. Let wood chips stand for 15 minutes or until smoking; reduce heat to medium. Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place on grill. Place shrimp in a grilling skillet; place skillet on grill rack over unheated side. Cover and grill 15 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring after 7 minutes. Serve with rémoulade.