Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I like this with a green salad for a quick weeknight meal. It's also lower in fat and calories. 15 minutes marinating time is included in the prep time.
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 lbs baking potatoes, thickly sliced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 lb total)
- In a medium bowl, combine the first seven ingredients (buttermilk through mustard) and 1/2 tsp of the salt.
- Place potatoes in another medium bowl.
- Add 3 T of the buttermilk marinade to the potatoes; toss to coat and set aside.
- Marinate chicken in remaining marinade for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place chicken then potatoes in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
Loved the spices in this, they added wonderful flavour to the potatoes, the chicken too, but especially noticable in the potatoes. I'm tempted to try teh spices with just the potatoes sometime, baked, they would probably be great!! The buttermilk taste was a nice change. Thanks for sharing (sorry it took me so long to get around to adding the stars to this comment, don't know what happened the first time.)
This one gets a split decision from me. The chicken was a big hit here. The marinade resulted in a tender, full-flavored meat that was a great combination of pepper and other spices. I left the paste on the chicken when i put it in the baking pan so it created a nice spicy shell that kept the chicken from drying out during baking. I contrast, I was dissapointed with the potatoes as they seemed to absorb little of the flavor from the marinade. My thick slices were between 3/8 and a 1/2 inch and took about 45 minutes to bake. Next time, I'll probly skip the potatoes or cut them 1/4 inch.
I was rather disappointed with this recipe. It was edible, but not flavourful. The spices lacked any oomph! I might try the basic concept again, using my own spice combination. I won't make this recipe again, though. I marinated the chicken for 40 minutes.