Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
I was looking for Cajun seasoning for my New Year's Day black eyed peas. This is based on Julie Sahni's recipe in "Savoring Spices and Herbs" with a few alterations. Everyone loved the peas, btw. NOTES: I ground only 1/2 the herbs/spices for textural effect. I usually grind up a whole nutmeg & store in a jar so there's always an amount of fresh nutmeg on hand. "Cook" time = grate & mix time.
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons dried basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon powdered dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- Combine the black peppercorns & cumin seeds in a spice/coffee grinder that is used for ONLY spices & grind until spices are coarsely ground.
- Add celery seeds & 1TB each basil, oregano, parsley & red pepper flakes.
- Pulse until ground but not powdered.
- Combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl & stir with a whisk until well mixed.
- Store in an airtight container.
Made this spice blend to add to my cabinet today...WOW! It definitely packs a flavorful punch!!! When my spice jar is empty I will definitely make this again. I did not add the nutmeg though, because I do not care for its flavor, and I can detect the smallest amount of it. I used about a tsp. of this blend to top my ground beef and rice I had for lunch. I look forward to trying it on chicken this week. Made and reviewed for the 38th Aus/NZ Recipe Swap.
Loads of flavor! I did cut back on the cayenne(so we could handle the heat) and used this on Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges. Yum! Thanks! Made for the Australian Recipe Swap!
Great tasting cajun blend. I followed the recipe as written but had to omit the dried ancho chile powder as I couldn't find that ingredient over here. Thanks for posting.