Prep 0 mins
Cook 21 mins
This recipe from Cooking Light isn't the one I enjoyed at Duck Inn in VA Beach when I was in the Navy but it isn't too shabby either.
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1⁄3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon salt-free cajun seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- Italian bread, cut in half lengthwise and toasted
- 4 curly leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 slices red onions
- Note Onion should be 1/4 inch thick. Crabs should weigh 5 to 6 ounces each.
- Preheat broiler. Blacken the green peppers by cutting in half, remove seeds and membranes, place on baking sheet and under broiler. After you have blackened place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel.
- Process in a food processor bell pepper, mayonnaise, basil, capers, salt, and garlic until smooth.
- Over med high heat the oil. Sprinkle crabs with Cajun seasoning. Dredge crabs in cornmeal. Add crabs to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side, gently pressing body and legs against pan.
- Spread 1 tablespoon sauce evenly over each slice of bread. Arrange 1 crab over each bottom half of bread. Top each crab with 1 lettuce leaf and 1 red onion slice. Cover with top halves of bread.