Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here in South Louisiana, we "smother" just about everything. No, we don't put a blanket or something over our food to "smother" it! We just keep the cover of the pot almost all the way on. It's best cooked in a heavy, seasoned cast iron dutch oven, which is a must have, in my opinion. The meat is cooked in a natural gravy. I personally like my food on the spicy side. It's "fall off the bone" tender! So, put a pot of rice on! :)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 bone in pork chops
- your favorite cajun seasoning
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil in a 5 quart cast iron dutch oven on medium high.
- Season pork chops with Cajun seasoning.
- Place in skillet and brown well on both sides over medium - medium high heat.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion, green and red bell peppers, and celery. Cook until onions are soft and transparent, stirring frequently as not to burn.
- Return pork chops to pot.
- Add just enough water to cover the meat. Add garlic and Worcestershire. Stir well.
- If your gravy isn't dark, add a tablespoon of kitchen bouquet and stir.
- Cover pot almost all of the way. Simmer until meat is tender.
- Uncover. Add mushroom and green onions and parsley.
- Adjust seasoning by tasting gravy. Simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
- C'est Si Bon, Cher!
I am surprised this doesn't have more reviews. I think it's absolutely lovely. I've made it with chicken and pork, good with both! There are a lot of things I've made and would never bother again, this is not one of them :)
I am just learning to get down and dirty in the kitchen. I pulled this up at work and at the last minute decided to try it. It came out fantastic. My boyfriend was very pleased!
Even though I forgot to add the mushrooms and parsley this was delicious. I had thick loin chops in the freezer so thats what I used and they came out lovely and tender. The seasoning and veggies were great too and I just used them as the side veg tonight. I would happily make this recipe again.