This is the best chicken that I have ever had! I purchased a Big Green Egg Smoker and was looking for new recipes and discovered this. I found the recipe on the website The Smoker King (smokerking.com). I think the key part of this recipe is the injection. It makes the chicken so tender and juicy. The chicken is injected with a butter mixture. Leave it to me to find the only unhealthy recipe for chicken on the internet!
- one whole chicken (3 or 4 lbs.)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 pieces of chopped onions
- one 12 oz. beer
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Tony Chachere's Seasoning (I used dizzy pig)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- olive oil
- tony chachere's seasoning to cover the outside of the chicken
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- spray bottle
- 1. Whisk all injection ingredients together.
- 2. Using a kitchen syringe, inject the liquid into various spots on the chicken. Try to be even as possible, injecting about 1/2 of the mixture into the breasts, and the other 1/2 throughout the rest of the chicken.
- 3. Rub the chicken down with olive oil, and apply an even layer of Tony's Cajun Seasoning to the bird.
- 4. Drink half of the beer, widen the opening at the top of the can, then put the garlic and onion in the can.
- 5. Place the bird on the can. It should sit up by itself. You may have to prop the legs forward to make it sit up.
- 6. Preheat your smoker to about 250 F degrees. I use hickory for chicken; charcoal works well too.
- 7. Mix the mop ingredients in the spray bottle and shake before each use.
- 8. Put the chicken on the smoker and spray the chicken with the mop about every 30 minutes to keep it moist.
- 8. Smoke the chicken for 3-4 hours, or until the internal temperature of the thickest meat reaches 175 F Degrees.