Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This recipe was an inspiration from my first experience eating a chowder. Being from the south, I had never eaten anything like this until a friend of mine brought a bowl home from work. After the first bite, I knew I had to re-create the recipe. This is my version, with of course, bacon and potatoes added to the flavor profile!
- 1 (20 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Tony Chachere's Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In large, deep pot fry bacon until crisp. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In same pot, add sliced sausage and onion and cook until sausage is browned.
- Crumble bacon and add to pot with the sausage and onions.
- Add Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onions, creamed corn, sweet corn and shrimp to pot with sausage.
- In medium bowl, add flour and slowly add chicken broth and whisk until thoroughly mixed. Add to pot.
- Add enough water to cover all ingredients. Stir constantly on medium heat until mixture begins to thicken. Turn to low heat.
- Add Tony's, cayenne and a dash of salt and pepper. (Season to your taste!).
- Slowly stir in milk and simmer on low heat until potatoes are tender and shrimp are cooked.
This recipe gets 5 stars from me. It is so delicious!!! and very easy to do! Most ingredients you have on hand. My husband LOVED it. Will be making this often. Thanks for the recipe.
This was outstanding, and I can't think of anything I would do to tweak it. The seasoning was spot on, and even the Peanut Gallery really loved it! Keeping this as a "Cold Weather" recipe.