Prep 15 mins
Cook 46 mins
A non-creamy Cajun pasta dish.
- 1 lb vermicelli or 1 lb linguine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- Cook pasta according to packaging; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 4 minutes, until softened. Add garlic, thyme, cayenne, pepper and basil; cook on low for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato, sugar, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 30 minutes, until liquid is reduced by half. Season with salt, if desired.
- In a separate small skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes, until light pink. Add to pasta sauce and cook 5 minutes, stirring to combine thoroughly. Add the cooked pasta and toss well with the grated cheese. Serve topped with fresh grated cheese and green onions.