Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
based on a recipe from intermezzo magazine. i use my mango peach salsa Mango Peach Salsa and this is a lovely dish
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon cajun seasoning, to taste (emerils or tony cachere's)
- 4 metal skewers
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2⁄3 cup coconut flakes
- mango peach salsa (to garnish) (optional)
- preheat oven to 350, preheat broiler to high.
- for the rice:.
- melt butter in an oven safe dutch oven.
- add scallions, garlic and ginger and cook until softened.
- add rice, stir one minute.
- add lemon and lime juice, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, bring to a boil.
- cover and place in oven, bake 20 minutes.
- remove, lift lid and let it cool 10 minutes.
- fluff with a fork and mix in coconut milk and coconut.
- cook over low heat until warmed through.
- for shrimp: coat with olive oil and cajun seasoning.
- thread 3 shrimp vertically on each skewer and broil 2 minutes per side.
- serve shrimp over rice garnished with salsa.
This was really good! I didn't have the mango peach salsa or the coconut flakes, but I did add the pinch of ginger, didn't really taste it though, it just blended in. The rice was really creamy, but I thought it could have tasted more like coconut, something was missing, I might make this again and play around with it!
The directions above states (1. preheat oven to 350 preheat broiler to high for rice: melt butter in an oven safe dutch oven.) Is a bit confusing! I cooked the rice on the stovetop. I did use all 4 tablespoons butter which should be cut down in half. The recipe doesn`t state how much cajun mix to use so so I used 2 teaspoons of my own mix for the shrimp. I served this with wasbi sauce #89827. This dish has lots of good flavor.The rice comes out creamy white I don`t know if you can see that in the picture. The lime is just so nice in this I think next time I`ll use just lime. Sandy thanks for posting this delish recipe.