Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dry crab boil seasoning
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 ounces hot sauce (Trappey's)
- 1 lb.raw large shrimp (16/20 count)
- Bring the water to a boil and add the crab boil, onions, lemons, and hot sauce. Stir and add the shrimp.
- Boil until the shrimp turn pink.
- Peel if need be.
- Serve with Recipe #458602.
My dads thing was shrimping, and I've pulled in a lot of shrimp trawls myself, so I've made shrimp lots of ways. This exactly describes my goto method for boiled shrimp, but ours are usually bigger - especially on the first day of shrimp season with friends who also shrimp. This is also a really great way to do crab, crawfish and even lobster. I like to use Louisiana brand dry shrimp and crab boil and I usually add corn on the cob broken in half and small red potatoes. Put the potatoes in first and let'em boil till almost done then add corn wait until it comes back to a rolling boil and then add shrimp and follow the authors directions. Sounds like the author has been at a few "cover the picnic table with newspaper and pile the shrimp on" boils himself! I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was one of ours years ago at Bordages Fish Camp, Bayou Caddy MS. If you want authentic Louisiana/Mississippi boiled shrimp use this recipe, I'll bring the beer.