Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This soup is not smooth. Pretty simple.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups fish stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces cooked shrimp
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter and add the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook gently to soften.
- Stir in the mustard, cayenne, paprika, and flour. Cook about 3 minutes over gentle heat, stirring occasionally.
- Pour on stock gradually, stirring until well blended. Add the thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp and heat through for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with chives before serving.