Prep 20 mins
Cook 42 mins
Seafood and spice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, pureed
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Lightly coar a large geavy skilled with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add oil and flour and stir consistantly until roux turns deep mahogany brown, about 5 minutes. Add onions, green pepper, celery and bacon; saute until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in tomatoes in puree, broth, rice and Old Bay seasoning; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until most of liquid is absorbed and rice is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Fold in shrimp and cook just until shrimp are pink and firm, about 5 minutes.
- Gently fold in crab; cover and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and let stand 3 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.