Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe from Oprah's site that I wanted to capture for future use in case her site ever erased it. Recipe courtesy of Chef Tal Ronnen, who recommends an asparagus soup with this.
- 7 portabella mushrooms, cleaned
- extra virgin olive oil, to cover
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons celtic sea salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1⁄4 cup vegan mayonnaise (try Vegenaise)
- 2 limes, juice of
- salt and pepper
- To make the Portobello Fillets: Place the mushrooms in a hotel pan or large metal roasting pan. Cover with olive oil and add the garlic cloves.
- Poach in the oven at 170° for 3 hours. Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a dish to make the Cajun rub.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven. Remove from the oil and pat dry. Slice on a bias into 1/4-inch fillets. Rub the Cajun rub into the fillets and grill until heated through.
- To make the Avocado Cream: Combine all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- To assemble: Garnish the Portobello Fillets with the Avocado Cream and serve.
Fantastic combination of flavors! I used olive oil inside the mushroom caps, enough to bring it up to brim of the mushrooms. It then spilled around them and mushrooms also sweated, so there was plenty liquid for them to poach in.