Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb white fish fillet, cut into 1 inch pieces (haddock, perch, etc.)
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1 lb shrimp (approx 30/lb, peeled & deviened)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped (small pieces)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (small pieces)
- 1 large onion, chopped (small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves, crushed
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- Heat oil in large stock pot.
- Add sausage and cook until browned.
- Add Basil, oregano and Garlic, onion, celery& pepper and saute over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Add canned tomatoes w/juice and cook over medium heat for another 20 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Add seafood and cook until shrimp are pink and curled- scallops and fish will be done then.
- Serve over fettucini or w/ fresh sourdough bread.
This is a very flavorful stew. I didn't change a thing. Nice rich broth. The sausage really adds to its good taste. My family loved it. Will make this again. Thanks, Denise Chase!
I usually make the Sicilian Seafood Stew from this site, but tried this for a little variety. It was excellent. Changes I made due to what I had on hand and personal preference were: green pepper instead of red, sweet sausage instead of hot, 2 cans of stewed tomatoes for 2 of the cans of diced and cod for the fish. This makes a nice thick stew. We did not put it over pasta, but that would be a good way to stretch it to feed more people. I was tempted to omit the sausage because it didn't sound appealing, but it turned out to be an important ingredient in the overall flavor. Great recipe!