Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my MIL's best gumbo recipe! Not watery, not spicy - just right!
Make and share this Cajun Seafood Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil or 1 cup bacon fat
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 10 cups shrimp stock (see recipe)
- 3⁄4 lb andouille sausage (sliced)
- 3⁄4 lb kielbasa (sliced)
- 1 dozen oyster
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 1⁄2 lbs raw shrimp
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen okra
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- TO MAKE STOCK: boil the shrimp peelings and heads for approximately 2 hours.
- Start with plenty of water because you need to end up with enough for 10 cups.
- Make roux.
- This is done by browning flour and lard/oil stirring frequently until DARK brown.
- Add chopped vegetables and sauté.
- Pour 10 cups of stock (hot) in separate large pot and add roux slowly, stirring often until well blended.
- Add bay leaves and seasonings and peeled tomatoes.
- Sauté okra then add to pot (until no longer stringy).
- Add sausages to pot.
- Simmer on low for 25-30 minutes.
- Add shrimp, crab and oysters.
- Turn fire up.
- Cook 5 minutes and stir often.
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice.