1 hr 30 mins
This is my MIL's best gumbo recipe! Not watery, not spicy - just right!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil or 1 cup bacon fat
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 10 cups shrimp stock (see recipe)
- 3/4 lb andouille sausage (sliced)
- 3/4 lb kielbasa (sliced)
- 1 dozen oyster
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 1/2 lbs raw shrimp
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen okra
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can peeled tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1TO MAKE STOCK: boil the shrimp peelings and heads for approximately 2 hours.
- 2Start with plenty of water because you need to end up with enough for 10 cups.
- 3Make roux.
- 4This is done by browning flour and lard/oil stirring frequently until DARK brown.
- 5Add chopped vegetables and sauté.
- 6Pour 10 cups of stock (hot) in separate large pot and add roux slowly, stirring often until well blended.
- 7Add bay leaves and seasonings and peeled tomatoes.
- 8Sauté okra then add to pot (until no longer stringy).
- 9Add sausages to pot.
- 10Simmer on low for 25-30 minutes.
- 11Add shrimp, crab and oysters.
- 12Turn fire up.
- 13Cook 5 minutes and stir often.
- 14Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 20 minutes.
- 15Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Seafood Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.6
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 176.8 mg
- Sodium 2259.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 37.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: