Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a fairly simple gumbo recipe, and could be spiced up to individual tastes with spicier sausage, or the additional cayenne.
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 quart water
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can clam chowder
- 1 bay leaf
- 5⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb link sausage, sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) package perch fillets, frozen, cut in squares
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked
- 2 sprigs parsley (optional)
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Make roux by browning flour in melted shortening.
- Add celery, onions and bell pepper and cook slowly until onion is clear.
- Add other ingredients with exception of shrimp and parsley.
- Simmer for at least 1 hour.
- Add shrimp about 10 minutes before serving.
- Just before serving add parsley.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Not a true Cajun recipe at all! I am a Cajun from Louisiana and this is not authentic. We do NOT put clam chowder, nor do we put tomato anything in our gumbos.
OKay, cajuns do not: even eat clam chowder use tomatoes in their gumbo use okra in their gumbo don't use fish in their gumbo!! From a Louisianaian, I must say this isn't even close to gumbo.