Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Hearty, homely soup to feed a large crowd. Great over rice.
- 4 lbs sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 ripe tomatoes, cored & cut into small pieces
- 3 (32 ounce) cans tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cajun seasoning (Paul Prudhomme brand)
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup water
- Cut sausage into small pieces and brown in a small amount of vegetable oil; set aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in soup pot and cook vegetables (onion, celery, carrots, potatoes & tomatoes) until tender.
- Add tomato juice, cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, sausage and grease.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Mix water and corn starch together and thicken soup with mixture.
- Remove soup from heat, add heavy cream and salt & pepper to taste.