This is a spicy and zesty dish. You may serve it over rice, or as a soup. This is great served with cornbread, or corn muffins and green onions.
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes & chilies (I use extra hot, but use mild, or original if you like)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- Tabasco sauce, to taste (or serve on the side)
- Combine all ingredients in crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours.
- May be served over cooked rice, if desired, or as a thick and zesty soup.
I used kielbasa and skipped the green pepper because I didn't have any. I added about a cup of cooked brown rice half way through cooking. Nice and spicy and leftovers were great.
Delicious! I did add a can of diced tomatoes to cut down on the spiciness of the Rotel. Served it over rice with cheesy cornbread on the side. Perfect.
YUM!!! My husband and I both love this--just the right kick! This is so easy, he can throw it in the crockpot and take it to work and have it ready by dinnertime. Perfect!