Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 lb rotelle pasta
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 15 ounces canned red beans or 15 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Fill a large pot three-quarters full of water and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions.
- After the pasta has cooked for 3 minutes, remove 1 cup of the cooking water.
- In a large frying pan over high heat, bring the reserved cooking water, onion, bell pepper, carrots, Cajun seasoning, cumin, and cayenne to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-high, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetable are barely tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the beans, lemon juice, and oregano.
- Drain the pasta thoroughly.
- Add the pasta to the beans.
- Stir a nd toss to combine. To serve, divide among individual plates.