Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Also known as Dirty rice, this is one of my favorite foods.
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage (ground)
- 1⁄2 lb chicken liver (cooked and ground)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups rice (uncooked)
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- In a large deep skillet, brown sausage and drain excess grease.
- Add green pepper, celery, onion, and garlic to sausage and saute until softened.
- Add chicken livers, rice, chicken broth, cajun seasoning and Tabasco sauce to skillet and stir to mix well.
- Simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
It takes a little time to put together but great recipe!
This is a great recipe that I've been making for years. I've adapted it a little. I only use half the liver which I cut really, really small after it's been sauteed. I use brown which I cook prior. (it also eliminates the need for broth) I boil the rice in a lot off water and drain it when its almost done so it won't get mushy later. I then mix sauteed veggies, meat, & rice in a crock...at this point I taste for salt. Set it on low for a few hours or more depending or when you need it. The crock pot really makes all the flavors come together. Thanks for posting!