Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a hearty and spicy rice dish that both my mother frequently cook. It makes a wonderful compliment to many meat dishes. Also great on its own with a green salad.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian turkey sausage, casing removed if applicable
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (or other light cooking oil)
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 -6 drops hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- 31 1⁄2 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13" x 9" x 12" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove casing from sausage (unless using bulk sausage) and cook sausage in large non-stick skillet over med-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat, remove sausage from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain and wipe drippings from skillet with a paper towel.
- Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add onion, celery, green pepper, garlic and saute for about 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, stir in sausage, rice and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Spoon rice mixture into prepared baking dish, cover and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour, 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from oven, discard bay leaf and fluff rice with a fork. Sprinkle top with fresh parsley or green onion pieces if desired.
- Ready to serve and enjoy.
I have made this dish at least 5 times so far and I will continue making it because it is just so good! I started out making this for my mom and I. After getting married, I started making it for my husband and I. The first time he tried it, he was very impressed. The second time I made it, he said this dish is becoming one of his favorites. It will be a well used recipe in my home. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful dish!
Really good and spicy with hot sausage...
Good dish. My kids loved it. We are not a big fan of Turkey and this was excellent.