Recipe by soochchef
This is a hearty and spicy rice dish that both my mother frequently cook. It makes a wonderful compliment to many meat dishes. Also great on its own with a green salad.
Top Review by v8time81
I have made this dish at least 5 times so far and I will continue making it because it is just so good! I started out making this for my mom and I. After getting married, I started making it for my husband and I. The first time he tried it, he was very impressed. The second time I made it, he said this dish is becoming one of his favorites. It will be a well used recipe in my home. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful dish!
- 1⁄2 lb Italian turkey sausage, casing removed if applicable
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (or other light cooking oil)
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 -6 drops hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- 31 1⁄2 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13" x 9" x 12" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove casing from sausage (unless using bulk sausage) and cook sausage in large non-stick skillet over med-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat, remove sausage from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain and wipe drippings from skillet with a paper towel.
- Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add onion, celery, green pepper, garlic and saute for about 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, stir in sausage, rice and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Spoon rice mixture into prepared baking dish, cover and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour, 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from oven, discard bay leaf and fluff rice with a fork. Sprinkle top with fresh parsley or green onion pieces if desired.
- Ready to serve and enjoy.