Recipe by FloridaNative
From my daily diabetic recipe email and "The Diabetes Snack Munch Nibble Nosh Book"
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes (low-sodium or regular)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste) (optional)
- 2 -3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (low-sodium or regular)
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion, including tops
- 1 stalk celery, diced (large)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, oil, vinegar, marjoram, thyme, salt (if desired), and hot pepper sauce. Stir to mix well.
- Stir in the rice, beans, onion, and celery.
- Serve the salad at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate before serving. Leftover salad will keep in the refrigerator 2 to 3 days.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 cup): Calories: 100, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Calories From Fat: 17, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 16mg, Carbohydrate: 17g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 4g.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1/2 Monounsaturated Fat.