Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is another recipe I got from one of our potlucks at work. My husband likes this one. It is a little warm, so better test it before giving it to the kids.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 large red peppers (or combination of all 3) or 1 large green peppers (or combination of all 3) or 1 large yellow pepper, sliced into thin strips (or combination of all 3)
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups Minute Rice
- Cook onion in oil till tender but still opaque.
- Add broth, pepper strips and seasonings.
- Bring to a rolling boil; stir in rice.
- Cover and remove from the heat.
- Let set for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
This was great! As always I changed things up a bit. Used two 14 oz. cans of chicken broth to cook 1 1/2 cups regular long grained rice instead of using minute rice. And 3 tsp of cajun seasoning instead of the chili powder, thyme, and paprika with a few shakes of cayenne pepper, granulated garlic, and some seasoning salt when cooking the peppers and onion. Mixed the onion, peppers and seasonings with the cooked rice. Came out great. And was the perfect side to the spicy catfish tenders Spicy Catfish Tenders With Cajun Tartar Sauce. Thanks for posting. This is a keeper.
This recipe was some of the best cajun rice I've had in a long time! I really enjoyed the heat that came along with it. I used cayenne pepper for my "ground red pepper" so it got pretty warm. I'll definitely be making this again.
I love this rice! I've made it many times now and my husband and I really enjoy it. The last time I made it I didn't have an onion or a pepper so just made the rice with the seasonings and it was still delicious. I've found that I need to add a little more liquid or cut the rice down a little because mine sometimes comes out a little undercooked.