Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Great Red Beans and Rice recipe. A friend of mine gave me this recipe several years ago and I am posting here for safe keeping. I realize this is a very Southern dish and I hope ingredients are available ....I have used a different type of bean when I couldn't find the traditional red beans. Of course hot sauce is necessary in this recipe! I serve it on the side. Preperation time does not include the beans that soak overnight.
- 1 lb red beans, dried (soak over night in water)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 quart water
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 pods garlic, chopped (approx. 20 cloves)
- 1 cup green pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 lb kielbasa, cut into pieces (I use Ekerich smokey links)
- 2 cups rice (cooked according to directions on package)
- 1 (4 ounce) bottle hot sauce
- Drain red beans, rinse and in a large soup pot combine the beans, and water. Bring to a boil and cook 45 minutes. Add all vegetables, shortening, tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook 1 hour, covered. Stir occasionally.
- Add sausage and cook 45 minutes, or until the beans are cooked.
- Serve with a few tablespoons of rice on top and (optional) dashes of "Louisania Hot Sauce".