Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Being so far away from home, I tend to crave recipes I am unable to get here in Holland. This being one of them! Good ole Cajun and Creole Food. After one of these cravings I decided to do some research and came up with several recipes for Red Beans and Rice. I took bits and pieces from the different recipes, subbed ingredients I was unable to find here and created this easy and tasty recipe. Whenever my husband and I crave Cajun, this fits the bill. Depending on your taste, you may want to add more Cajun spices to suite your family's spiciness of preference. I love to serve this dish alongside grilled pork chops or smoked sausage
- 1 cup ham, cubes
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch dices
- 2 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped into small dices
- 1 green pepper, chopped small dices
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped into small dices
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cajun seasoning, recipe below
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth, low salt if possible
- 2 cups long grained white rice, Uncle Bens is a good choice
- cajun seasoning, mixture
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cajun seasoning mixture ingredients. Just mix all ingredients together well. Set aside. May be stored in a ziplock or airtight container for several weeks.
- In a large pot, add 1 tbsp of oil. Add ham and bacon dices and sauté until they are browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In pot, add remaining oil and add onion, green pepper, garlic, celery and stir well. Sauté mixture until veggies are limp and cooked. About 8 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, bay leaves, thyme, sage, parsley and Cajun spices. Mix well together.
- Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat, cover pot and simmer low for 30 minutes.
- Add rice, ham/bacon and bring mixture to boil. Lower heat to low, cover and simmer 20minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. ***Read directions on rice brand package and follow the cooking time on the package. Rice cooking times vary per brand, so it is best to follow the cooking time directions on the package you are using in this recipe. The Uncle Bens Rice I use states a simmer of 20 minutes as I state in this recipe.