Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Found in 'Tiger Bait' Recipes, and Best of the Best from Louisiana. Firs', cher, you take one-two pound dem red bean an' put dem in a big pot, dere. Den you wash dem bean real good an' watch out fo' dem little rock an' chuck dirt. W'en dem bean real good clean, fill up wit'planty water, fo'-five quart. Throw in nice ham bone wit planty meat lef' an, or one-two pound ham chuck. Don' fo'get to remember two-t'ree onion, fo'-five toe garlic, an' planty salt an' pepper. Now boil dat all down till dem bean planty soft an' dat gravy planty thick. Serve dem over steam rice wit' Tabasco sauce, cher. An' bon appetit!
- 2 lbs red beans
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ham, chunks or 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 cups brown rice
- Wash dried beans.
- Remove any foreign matter, such as stems, etc.
- Place in a large 4 to 6 quarts (4 to 6-liter) saucepan or Dutch oven. Add 4 to 5 quarts (4 to 5 liters) water, ham, onion, garlic and seasonings. Simmer slowly for about 3 hours until beans are soft and gravy is thick.
- To Serve: Cook up some rice. Warm red bean soup in oven, on the stove top or in the microwave until nice and warm. Serve over cooked rice, with Tabasco sauce if you like it hot.
firstly, this is expensive. secondly, this is NOT how you make beans from my state.