Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The best version of red beans and rice that I've come across.
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- 9 3⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped onions, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups fully cooked andouille sausages or 1 1⁄4 cups hot Italian sausage links, diced
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (ground red pepper)
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place kidney beans in large pot. Add enough water to pot to cover beans by 2 inches. Bring to boil. Remove pot from heat. Cover and let beans stand 1 hour to soften. Drain. Return beans to same pot. Add 7 cups water and chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Drain beans, reserving 2 cups of cooking liquid.
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups onions and saute' until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add sausage, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium and saute' until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in beans, reserved 2 cups cooking liquid, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, paprika, and cayenne. Reduce heat to low; simmer until liquid thickens slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 2 3/4 cups water, rice, butter, bay leaf, thyme, and remaining 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a large saucepan. Bring to simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered 10 minutes.
- Spoon kidney beans into bowls. Top with rice and serve.
My favorite beans and rice product changed formula to something terrible. This recipe is so good I don't think I'll miss my old store-bought ready-mix.
We enjoyed this recipe! I used canned kidney beans made for a very quick meal. Used a hot italian sausage, love the peppers and celery in this only used 3 cloves of garlic. The bay leaf and the thyme in the rice had nice flavor. Next time I make this I will increase the green pepper. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Made for the Ragin' cajun/cerole challenge in the photo forum.
Loved this... I used red beans from a can to skip that step but other than that i just followed the recipe. Will make again. Also, i took some of the left overs, hollowed out the middle of a sub and dropped the leftovers in the middle. Made for a great sandwich for lunch.