Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Rick Rodgers Celebrations 101. This vegetable stew goes cajun with some bayou-style seasoning.
Top Review by PacemakerGuy
A definite keeper. Next time I would peel the eggplant. Also, 45 minutes was way too long for roasting the eggplant and zucchini. Make sure you use the tomatoes in puree, as it firms up the sauce nicely.
- 2 medium globe eggplants, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more for seasoning)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, with leaves chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped (white and green part)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning (use salt-free)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2-inch lengths
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the eggplant and salt in a colander; let drain in a sink for 30-60 minutes; rinse well with cold water; pat the eggplant dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add in the onion, celery, scallions, bell pepper, and garlic; cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender (about 12 minutes).
- Sprinkle with the cajun seasoning and stir well; stir in the tomatoes with their juices and bring to a boil.
- Decrease the heat to low; simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until the sauce has reduced slightly (about 25 minutes); keep the sauce warm.
- Position racks in the center and top third of the oven; preheat to 425°; lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
- Toss the eggplant with 2 tablespoons oil on one oiled baking sheet and spread in a single layer.
- Toss the zucchini with 2 tablespoons oil on the other baking sheet and spread in a single layer.
- Bake the eggplant and zucchini, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes, until lightly browned and tender.
- Add to the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste; transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.