Recipe by ninja
Can be a favorite main dish or a tasty side. The puffed crust, common in Cajun cooking, is fried hot enough to give just the right crunch and just the right puff to make the dish special. To add a Chinese twist, top the puffed shrimp with your favorite sweet and sour sauce.
- oil (for frying)
- 35 large shrimp
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (to taste)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, then butterfly the shrimp by cutting down the back deep enough to remove the vein; rinse.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Set the seasoned shrimp aside.
- Beat 2 eggs in a bowl. Add the flour and mix as smooth as possible.
- Add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Blend to a smooth consistency.
- Add shrimp to batter.
- Deep fry in batches in hot oil until golden brown. Drain.
- If desired, top with sweet and sour sauce.