Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A versatile recipe that can be used with a variety of meats: pork, lamb, venison, etc. Based on a recipe in the Sugar Busters Quick and Easy Cookbook, but dressed to kill, the way I like it!
- 4 lbs rump roast
- 2 1⁄4 cups Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 can sliced mushrooms, with liquid
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 7 whole cloves
- Combine the roast and 2 cups of salad dressing in a large plastic storage bag.
- Seal tightly.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat a heavy Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add the oil.
- Remove the roast from the marinade and add to the pan.
- Brown on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle meat with seasoned salt and pepper.
- Add water,the remaining 1/4 cup salad dressing, the vinegar, garlic, mushrooms with liquid, onion, bay leaves, 7 whole cloves.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for two to three hours, until very tender.
Very good and wonderful flavor! I opted the mushrooms since my DH hates mushrooms, and added more garlic because my family loves garlic.