This is a cross between a pot pie and gumbo. I love the combo of the crispy puff pastry and the saucy filling.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups hot chicken stock
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 lb chicken breast, diced
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage
- 2 lbs shrimp
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Melt the butter over medium heat, sprinkle flour in the pan when the butter starts to bubble. Stir constantly until the mixture starts to turn a dark brown.(about 5 minutes) Quickly add the onions, peppers, celery and garlic, mix well. Remove from the heat for a minute; then turn the heat to low and place back on the heat.
- Continue to cook and stir for about 5 minutes. Gradually add the chicken stock, followed by the tomato paste, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, cayenne and Tabasco. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the chicken and sausage, cook for another hour (mixture will be very thick). Fold in the shrimp and put into a large baking dish.
- Cover with the puff pastry. Bake in a 400 degree farenheit oven for 30 minutes.