Recipe by Sharon123
This is a rich sandwich, delicious withavocado and a generous smear of remoulade! This recipe calls for 1 hour marinating time, so plan accordingly. Adapted from Chef Tal Ronnen's The Conscious Cook.
Top Review by Debbwl
A very yummy sandwich but do be forward that the flavor of the mushroom is greatly muted by the Cajun spice. I loved this sandwich but DH thought it over spiced. Made as written serving on thin sandwich buns instead of regular sandwich rolls. Thanks for the post.
- sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons low salt cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or white balsamic vinegar)
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed, gills removed, cut on the bias into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup mayonnaise (vegan preferably)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (vegan preferably)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or lime)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons capers, minced
- 2 teaspoons shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons red bell peppers, minced
Putting it together
- 1⁄4 cup remoulade sauce
- 4 soft sandwich buns, split
- 4 -8 lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried (romaine works well)
- 1 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Sprinkle the bottom with a pinch of salt and heat for 1 minute. Add the oil and heat for 1 minute, being careful not to let it smoke. This will create a nonstick effect.
- Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add 1 tbls. of the Cajun seasoning, along with the wine, vinegar, and 1 cup water, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook 1 minute. Pour the mushrooms and liquid into a shallow container, cover, and set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and press between paper towels or in a dish towel to remove excess marinade, then sprinkle with remaining Cajun seasoning, pressing the seasoning into both sides of the mushroom slices. Discard the marinade(or save for another use).
- In a cast iron skillet over medium high heat, cook the mushrooms in a single layer(you may need to do this in two batches) until blackened, 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend on high for 1 minute. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Makes 1 3/4 cups.
- Putting it together:.
- Spread a spoonful of the remoulade on one half of each roll. Top each with 1 or 2 lettuce leaves and a few slices of tomato and avocado. Divide the mushroom slices among the rolls. Close each sandwich and cut in half. Serve and enjoy!