Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
The filling can be prepared the day before and refrigerated. Just roll it in plastic wrap.
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped (scallions)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 (8 ounce) can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In large skillet, brown pork and drain.
- Add onions, celery, green bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, green onion, and parsley. Stir until cream cheese is melted and blended; cool completely.
- Unroll dough onto lightly greased cookie sheet and firmly press perforations to seal. This can be done on a greased piece of foil to fit cookie sheet.
- With floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 12"x10" rectangle.
- Spoon pork down center, leaving 1" on both (short) ends and 3" on both (long) sides.
- Cut dough on each long side of filling into fourteen 3/4" diagonal strips, 2" long. This can be done with kitchen shears.
- Brush beaten egg over dough strips.
- Fold ends of dough over filling.
- Lay dough strips alternately over filling, forming a roll resembling a braid.
- Brush exterior dough with remaining egg.
- Bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
oh wow this is so amazing and I'm proud of myself. It's beautiful lol I love the taste of the filling. Even my son loved it. I omitted salt and red pepper. Thanks Gailanng :) Made for Holiday tag game
this is delicious! I used green onion, increased the garlic and added in 1 tablespoon of crushed chili flakes, I'm going to try this meat filling next time using my own homemade bread dough, thank you Gail this is a wonderful recipe, I made this for KK's Green event
WOW! This is a fun recipe! I made it as directed, but used orange bell pepper as we prefer that to green. I also used 1/3 less fat cream cheese as I can't bring myself to use full fat much anymore. I used a pretty liberal 1/4 t. red pepper and next time will probably use more. I got a later start than I intended, so our filling wasn't quite at room temperature; next time I'll probably make it the night before for a quicker weeknight supper. To me this was an easy recipe to make that makes a big impression. LOVE using the crescent roll dough for easy pastry. Thanks gailanng for a tasty, fun recipe! Made for Potluck Tag, Feb '10.